From: Elizabeth <mrs.b@libero.it>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2004113014:16:21
Subject: How to develop indep. study for gifted 8th graders?

Dear Colleagues,

I'm looking for ideas on how to develop an independent study program
for 4 students in my 8th grade math class.

I teach in an international school in Italy and work with bright
students in general.  Our regular 8th grade program covers just about
all of a typical American algebra I course and some work from plane
and solid geometry (proofs saved for 9th grade).

The 4 students for whom I would like to develop an independent have
many good skills; one in particular would probably be a good candidate
for IB math already.

The only idea that I can think of is to have the 4 students work
through an SAT Math practice book, with me addressing questions when
needed.  My other 8 students need my time and attention so that we can
get through our challenging curriculum, and so I would like for the 4
"gifted" students to be able to work as independently as possible.

If you have any great ideas about 1) how to set up such a program or
2) resources that I could possibly use, I'd be greatful to learn about
them!

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,
Elizabeth