Q&A #282

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Math curriculum for gifted middle school students

View entire discussion
[<< prev]

From: Elizabeth

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2004113014:16:21
Subject: How to develop indep. study for gifted 8th graders?

Dear Colleagues, I'm looking for ideas on how to develop an independent study program for 4 students in my 8th grade math class. I teach in an international school in Italy and work with bright students in general. Our regular 8th grade program covers just about all of a typical American algebra I course and some work from plane and solid geometry (proofs saved for 9th grade). The 4 students for whom I would like to develop an independent have many good skills; one in particular would probably be a good candidate for IB math already. The only idea that I can think of is to have the 4 students work through an SAT Math practice book, with me addressing questions when needed. My other 8 students need my time and attention so that we can get through our challenging curriculum, and so I would like for the 4 "gifted" students to be able to work as independently as possible. If you have any great ideas about 1) how to set up such a program or 2) resources that I could possibly use, I'd be greatful to learn about them! Thank you very much. Sincerely, Elizabeth

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®