From: Ron <ronoc@netrax.net>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 1998110318:07:37
Subject: Re: My student is years ahead of class. How do I deal with this?

Several years ago I had a young lady in my class who was a gifted math
student. Although she was a fifth grade student, I was teaching her
algebra one. I had the benifit of being married to a high school math
teacher. We used program learning books along with the algebra text.
In sixth grade she began taking classes at the high school. Since she
was a well adjusted child, she was able to cope with the high school
setting. When she completed AP calculus in 10th grade she was given
permission to take some math courses at a local college. Upon
graduation, she was accepted to MIT. I don't know what is available in
your school district (accelerated classes, computer assisted learning)
but this child needs to be challenged. Best of luck.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/