From: Catherine

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 1998110723:12:12
Subject: Re: My student is years ahead of class. How do I deal with this?

I had a student in my 7th grade class two years ago who could learn a concept before I finished teaching it. He is now a freshman taking calculus. Here's what hwe did: -- participated in MATHCOUNTS during 7th and 8th grade at the state level (www.mathcounts.org) -- took the end of year tests for Math 9 and completed Math 10 during the summer -- went to the high school to receive instruction and is looking into taking a math course through Penn State online -- took the American High School Math Exam and proceeded to the next level of competition(talk to the high school math coordinator in your district) -- applied for a position on the New York State Math League Team which participated in the American Regional Math League Competition You are the key to his success. Hook him up with Mathcounts by registering your school and talking to the state coordinator. The deadline is November 14. If you have any questions please feel free to email me. Good luck! Catherine T

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/