Q&A #282

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Math curriculum for gifted middle school students

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Peggy Bussert

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000051911:14:27
Subject: Re: My student is years ahead of class. How do I deal with this?

Based on your statement, I'm assuming you don't offer algebra to 8th graders at your school. If not, is it possible for this student to attend a local high school to take algebra - or even better, test out of algebra and take a higher level math? Could this student do an independent study in math which is supervised by a high school or gifted certified teacher? Stanford University offers a program for students to accelerate their math learning via computer through their EPGY (Educational Program for Gifted Youth) courses. You can find this on the web by typing in EPGY. The cost is about $420 per 3 month period and the student can move through the material at his or her own pace. Based on discussions I've seen, some school systems allow students to substitute this course for math when the school or school system can't offer an appropriate alternative. At my school, the brightest math students are taking algebra as 8th graders. In addition, we always have 3-5 8th graders who are even beyond this and who take geometry. At one point, we sent the geometry students to the high school; however, we now teach them at our school.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®