From: Peggy Bussert <<mbussert@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000051910:14:27
Subject: Re: My student is years ahead of class. How do I deal with this?

Based on your statement, I'm assuming you don't offer algebra to 8th
graders at your school.  If not, is it possible for this student to
attend a local high school to take algebra - or even better, test out
of algebra and take a higher level math?  Could this student do an
independent study in math which is supervised by a high school or
gifted certified teacher?  Stanford University offers a program for
students to accelerate their math learning via computer through their
EPGY (Educational Program for Gifted Youth) courses.  You can find
this on the web by typing in EPGY.  The cost is about $420 per 3 month
period and the student can move through the material at his or her own
pace.  Based on discussions I've seen, some school systems allow
students to substitute this course for math when the school or school
system can't offer an appropriate alternative.

At my school, the brightest math students are taking algebra as 8th
graders.  In addition, we always have 3-5 8th graders who are even
beyond this and who take geometry.  At one point, we sent the geometry
students to the high school; however, we now teach them at our school.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/