From: Colette
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 1999010715:59:45
Subject: Math

I understand your cobcerns about math. I have a child in grade 3 and
grade 5. They were having trouble with multiplication tables. Here is
what I did and continue to do. I asked each child what reward (small)
they would like for learning their tables.If your child knows the
basic concept of grouping ie: 3 groups of 4 is the same as 3x4 the
rest is just memory work. I started by asking them to write out their
3 times table from 1 to 5. As they write them out they are to say them
out loud. Some children learn better visually and some learn better by
hearing. This method covers both aspects. I request that the older
children learn two sets of tables before getting their reward. My
older child needs a little more to interest her so I purchased the
reward and put it in sight so she would be reminded that this would be
hers as soon as she achieved her goal.
Hope this helps.

Also a concerned math parent.

Post a reply to this message