From: John Longoria <johnl@webnology.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 1999031501:18:43
Subject: Re: High rate of failure in math

Is it possible that, either because of insufficient motivation or even
lack of ability, many people do not belong in certain math classes?
Most students do well in math until middle school, when algebra
concepts are first taught.  I've experienced a very high failure rate
in my algebra classes, as have all of my colleagues, and many of them
have quietly expressed a similar belief.

Given the prevailing dogma in education, which states that all
students can learn, this is not an idea that one shouts out loud for
all to hear.  It is akin to standing up in church and saying there is
no God.  But if the idea turns out to be true, then we are doing
students a great disservice by forcing them to take classes for which
they are not, and may never be prepared.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/