From: John Longoria

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 1999031502:18:43
Subject: Re: High rate of failure in math

Is it possible that, either because of insufficient motivation or even lack of ability, many people do not belong in certain math classes? Most students do well in math until middle school, when algebra concepts are first taught. I've experienced a very high failure rate in my algebra classes, as have all of my colleagues, and many of them have quietly expressed a similar belief. Given the prevailing dogma in education, which states that all students can learn, this is not an idea that one shouts out loud for all to hear. It is akin to standing up in church and saying there is no God. But if the idea turns out to be true, then we are doing students a great disservice by forcing them to take classes for which they are not, and may never be prepared.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/