From: Loyd <Loydlin@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2004092813:43:13
Subject: Re: converting minutes into thousand/tenths

On 2004092809:14:07, Feliciano Gonzales wrote:

>I was wondering if there was a way to convert an angle of 2 minutes
>into thousands of an inch or tenths of an inch?

You have to specify a radius length and then you can specify the arc
length.

Formula is Arc Length = theta x radius.  Theta is the angle and the
formula as stated, requires radian measure.

The angle is 2 minutes (2/60 degrees) which in radian measure =
(2/60)xPi/180=.000581776 radians.

You can find this formula in most any physics or trig book.  Just look
up arc length or look up definition of a radian. A radian is defined
as an angle at the center of a circle whose subtended arc is the
length of the radius of the circle.

So, once you have a radius in inches, find the arc length and then
convert to thousands or tenths of an inch.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/