From: Gail
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000062210:12:26
Subject: Re: 1st grader bored with math

It is great that your child is eager to learn more math.  I would
encourage you to have her work on something other than computation,
however, since that is really such a small part of mathematics.  I
have had students come to me as fourth and fifth graders who were very
good at computing, but had little idea what they were doing, they were
just very good with math facts.  That can pose a problem for her in
later years, so giving her many experiences with patterns, and models
is very important.   Fractions can be introduced with models and sets
of things, using oral names, but I would caution you not to introduce
them abstractly yet.

There is a wonderful resource for you put out by the Lawrence Hall of
Science, University of California at Berkeley.  It is a series of
books
called "Family Math".  Here is a web site with more information...

http://equals.lhs.berkeley.edu/EQbkslideTest2.htm

 -Gail, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question