Q&A #2908

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Math Symbols

T2T || FAQ || Teachers' Lounge || Browse || Search || T2T Associates || About T2T

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Loyd

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2013013115:49:00
Subject: Re: Names for parts of math symbols

On 2003122620:28:41, Molly Crocker wrote: >In a summation expression, what is the name for the parts of the >expression above and below the Greek sigma? How 'bout the part to the >right? > Here is a summation problem that adds up the first 100 integers. My old TI-83 quit working so I got a TI-84 for Christmas. It is about the same as a TI-83 but has a few new features. For example, you can add the first 100 numbers by using the Sigma symbol by letting J run from 1 to 100. I am using a Cap E for a Sigma. 100 E (j)=5050 j=1 Which reminds me of a story I heard about a scientist who worked for GE named Stienmetz. As a young child, his teacher made the class add all the integers from 1 to 100. Stienmetz had the answer without much effort. So the teacher scolded him for not doing the work. He responded that, "1+100 is 101, 2+99 is 101 and etc. so the answer is 50 times 101 which is 5050." That is not an exact quote. So you can also do the same thing for j^2 or other powers. You can find the summation symbol by pressing the green Alpha key and then pressing 2 to get the summation symbol. Great feature!

Post a reply to this message
Post a related public discussion message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

Math Forum Home || The Math Library || Quick Reference || Math Forum Search

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
© 1994- The Math Forum at NCTM. All rights reserved.