From: Loyd <Loydlin@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2013013114:49:00
Subject: Re: Names for parts of math symbols

On 2003122620:28:41, Molly Crocker wrote:
>In a summation expression, what is the name for the parts of the
>expression above and below the Greek sigma?  How 'bout the part to
the
>right?

Here is a summation problem that adds up the first 100 integers.  My
old TI-83 quit working so I got a TI-84 for Christmas.  It is about
the same as a TI-83 but has a few new features.

For example, you can add the first 100 numbers by using the Sigma
symbol by letting J run from 1 to 100. I am using a Cap E for a Sigma.

 100
 E  (j)=5050
 j=1

  Which reminds me of a story I heard about a scientist who worked for
GE named Stienmetz.  As a young child, his teacher made the class add
all the integers from 1 to 100.  Stienmetz had the answer without much
effort.  So the teacher scolded him for not doing the work.  He
responded that, "1+100 is 101, 2+99 is 101 and etc. so the answer is
50 times 101 which is 5050."  That is not an exact quote.

So you can also do the same thing for j^2 or other powers.

You can find the summation symbol by pressing the green Alpha key and
then pressing 2 to get the summation symbol.

Great feature!

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®