From: Teh Oh Kian

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000122712:57:51
Subject: Re: Re: Math Symbols

I agree that the symbol is used to denote congruence in Number Theory and as symbol of 'equivalent to' in Logic and some other disciplines of Mathematics. I would like to remind that as far as I have learnt in Mathematics, it is also used to denote identically equal to. This symbol has a similar characteristic as the symbol ( , ). For example, (4, 6) can mean a cartesan point with co-ordinates 4 and 6 or can mean an open interval of real numbers from 4 to 6(not including 4 and 6) and 2 = (4, 6) meand the greatest common divisor of 4 and 6 is 2. I hope I have not given any incorrect information. Teh

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/