Q&A #2908

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Math Symbols

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Joshua Zucker

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001040405:21:21
Subject: Meaning of "triple equals"

I've seen triple equals used, as mentioned by others, for "congruent mod" with a subscript indicating mod what. I've also seen the use others have mentioned, meaning "equivalent" or "identically equal". I've seen one other use that it seems nobody else has mentioned: "is defined to equal". Some people use ":=" for that instead. For instance, they'd say f(x) := 3x + 2 to mean that this is the definition of f(x), as opposed to f(x) = 3x + 2 which might mean (depending on context, of course!) that we are trying to find the values of x for which f(x) is equal to 3x + 2. --Joshua Zucker

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®