Teacher2Teacher

Q&A #2916

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: susan moore

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2005101915:32:52
Subject: failure in accelerated math

My sixth grade daughter is using AM for the second year in a row with the same teacher. Most parents I have talked with are not pleased. After many discuusions with the teacher last year I figured out what was required of the students. The program is used as a stand alone curriculum. Her grading weights are as follows:25% in class test(these are tests which covers the objective which were taught in class a total of 40-50 minutes for the week) 5% homework(practices) 25% objective goals(45 for a nine week period) 30% test over the ren math( this covers the individual goal objectives) 5% participation(subjective according to the teacher) 10% quizzes(miscellaneous usually there is one quiz) My concerns are as followed: 1. Classroom instruction is limited to 50 minutes at the most each week. 2.My daughter appears to be working approximately six weeks behind the classroom instruction or twenty-thirty objectives behind. 3. The teacher does not seem to have time to work with my daughter because of the time spent working with the students who are ahead. 4. Peer tutoring is great as long as the student who is teaching really understands the concept. 5.Reteaching is not in the canned program... I send my daughter to school for seven hours a day but we can spend up to two hours learning(reteaching) math at home. 6. I realize the convience this program provides for teachers... no grading! If the teacher never looks at the students work or requires the student to show work how can the teacher be confident the student understands the process. If I asked the teacher what my daughter is having difficulty with she says turning in the practices... but my response was she can't pass certain objectives to even be able to take a test. Last year she took the same practices over three objectives five times before I located the failing practices in her notebook... should the teacher have not stopped her on the second and do a little reteaching? 7. If the program is individualized should eveyone have the same objective goal. Our school is set up on a nine week grading period. Is it reasonable to think every child everyday will be taught and master an objective each day... actually as the year moves on the objective goal increase to fifty. Remember we only have two days of classroom instuction amounting to 50 minutes in one week. The teacher does "cover" more than five objectives in a week... Are there super teachers who can teach, evaluate, and reteach 10 minutes a day? 8. Should a parent have to explain to a child that she must work every problem out in a neat and orderly fashion, so the parent can reteach the concepts where the teacher is failing... I would love to hear some suggestions from other parents or educators with some sort of solution. Being an educator myself I can't believe the situation that I have fallen into1

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/