Teacher2Teacher

Q&A #2916

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: M. Downey

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000111320:47:48
Subject: Re: accelerated math program

I am a parent of an average 7th grade math student. Our math teacher has jumped into this program with great enthusiasm, however my child is struggling with this program. He is using the possible answers to find the solution instead of the information given in the problem. He is also throwing out the two least likely answers and using a 50% chance, guessing at the correct answer because of the multiple choice answers. (His teacher commented that that's great because he is using problem solving strategies that he's been taught.) He completed 17 of the teacher required 20 objectives first quarter. Now the teacher has set the required goal at 26 for the second quarter. My child is very discouraged and has said that the "worst thing that ever happened to him in Jr. High is Accelerated Math" great! Three class periods per week are used for this program. The teacher does no instruction on this program until the child asks for help or fails three practice sheets and the program will not allow him to print another until he sees the teacher. The rules the teacher has set for this program are: 1. Go back to your text and try to see what you did wrong, check your math. 2. Ask another student in the class working on the same objective for help. 3. Ask the teacher. And now after my concern was aired. 4. Write your name by the objective you are having trouble with and a small group instruction may take place. Can you let me know what other responses you have received regarding this program? My main complaint is that the teacher is not teaching the objectives before the students are trying to solve related problems and they are becoming frustrated!

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/