Teacher2Teacher

Q&A #2916

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Robin Chilcott <chilcott@cableone.net>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2006102714:29:40
Subject: concerns with students moving too fast

I am a concerned parent who's child is in a school district that uses
Accelerated Math. They currently use the "A" math as their only math
curriculum. My child is in 4th grade working at a 5th grade level.
They are expected to learn an objective a day and sometimes 2 a day.
The teachers are encouraged to expose then test. I am seeing my child
learn concepts only to be moved on. I am concerned about retention of
concepts and also the holes in her learning. Are there any thoughts on
my concerns. I am only one of many parents frustrated with the
approach to teaching our children math and the long term effect.
The children get a brief lesson on a concept (some get no instruction,
just working on their own) and then they spend the rest of the time
working on their pratice sheets and tests. Thank you for your reply.
Robin Chilcott

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®