Q&A #2916

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Jennnifer

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2006061418:45:59
Subject: Re: Re: Huge growth in scores with AM

I don't think that one should use AM's testing to ascertain growth. I just don't think this would be the most scientifically valid method of comparing before and after. I think students learn to excel at taking AM's style of testing once they have been exposed to the curriculum for a period of time. The improvement in scores using their test could actually be measuring their improvement in test taking skills with math problems presented in what I would view as a rather distinctive "AM" style. I think a better way of testing would be to compare students" 1. of the same grade 2. at the same school -using aptitude testing that was previously used for an past grade year. For example, look at the gain in scores from end of 3rd grade to end of fourth grade for the 2004 and 2005 school years on an aptitiude test already taken by these students. Then, compare the gain of this control group with that of the group who used the AM program. That would be an unbiased study. @

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®