Q&A #2916

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Sam

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2006013014:24:30
Subject: Re: Re: accelerated math program

I am also a concerned parent. I have a child in the 7th grade who makes very good grades. He is involved in after school activities such as basketball, football, weight lifting and just general kid stuff. He scored high enough on his TAKS test last year that he was invited to participate in the PSAT this year through Duke University. He has never been in trouble either. But he feels as if he's being punished by having to go to the after school tutorials which are Tues. and Thursday nights till 7:30 pm!! He also attends school every Saturday morning until noon just to get his 30 objectives. Not much class time is given to our kids to work on accelerated math. Its a do on your own time thing. Then scan when a teacher lets you in her class if she's not busy teaching! My son didn't get all of his objectives this 6 weeks. His average in math before the accelerated math grade went in was 87. He went all the way down to a 73 for a final grade because he only got 26 objectives instead of 30. That holds alot of weight!.. He is very discouraged! I have been told that because he's a boy he has a natural tendency to procrastinate. He scans almost daily and every night he works on accelerated math! I have a big meeting at the school tomorrow with all the math teachers and the principal. Any one have any suggestions?

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®