Teacher2Teacher

Q&A #2916

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Holly Overfield

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003042612:20:53
Subject: Re: Re: Re: accelerated math program

I would love to hear more of your comments on this. I would like to learn more about the program myself. My son is in the gifted curriculam in 5th grade and pulled an "A" for the first two marking periods of this year as he always has. out of the blue they started his math class on ACM without proper warning or explanation of the program to any of the parents. The only mention of the program was in a monthly school newspaper and there was no detailed info. so we went thru a whole marking period not knowing this was what the class was doing. My son went from an "A" to a "C" and no one even ever called us to tell us. After we called for a school conference the program was explained. they were trying to start up this program in the fall but the computer was not ready. The blame was all put on my son for not explaining the program to us (he's 10 yrs old) and for not following these TOP reports which explains all about the %'s of objective and goals, etc. The main cause of him dropping his grade was because he wasn't motivated enough to continue doing the constant practice sheets, etc. More than 1/2 of this class dropped their grade anywhere from 10 points to 25. It obviously was do to lack of communication on the teacher/school's part. this seems like it's a very independently run program; the child would have to be very responsible and disciplined to continue doing the practices and tests, etc. on his own. I would like to know if you ever had a problem with a child that needs more structured teaching? because the program wasn't explained in it's entirety to us, where does the # of objectives per marking period derive from? How is your program explained to parents? Are parents given a choice of whether or not their child will be enrolled in ACM? My son is the type that is always bored in all of his classes and needs to be challenged constantly. I feel that putting him in front of a computer and asked to choose from multiple choice questions all period is just not going to work and that is probably the reason for his lack of motivation right now. What are your thoughts?

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/