Teacher2Teacher

Q&A #2916

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Dan <notachance@gettingmyemail.org>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2007121419:13:19
Subject: Re: Re: accelerated math program

Actually, this is a fantastic forge-ahead program.  Students are given
the resources to find the technique needed to answer a problem and
they run with it.  Some will be lazy, yes. Some will be slow, yes.
Why hold the rest of your class back because 15% of the class is lazy.
The 15% at the other end is pulling out their hair because they know
how to do the math and so they start antagonizing you by talking,
drawing, etc, because they are bored to tears.  This is individualized
instruction at it's finest.  Let every student go as far as they can
until they hit a wall, then give them the tools to go farther.  Kids
can't learn everything from the textbook and AM, but it sure helps you
group your kids by ability and allows them to work at a pace that is
challenging them.  I haven't got it all figured out either.  I came
here to see how people are integrating it into their curriculum and it
sounds like many are integrating their curriculum into AM.  Wow.  How
cool is that.  I've found that I can't print tests fast enough to
keeps kids moving.  Cool stuff.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®