Teacher2Teacher

Q&A #2916

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Sherry Mulling

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2008091110:52:58
Subject: Re: Re: accelerated math program

Oh my goodness sir, I so agree with your opinion. I am a speech-language pathologist and my daughter just started this program. She was an average math student making mostly B's in math. She is now in the 7th grade and they started the AM program. She is a child who needs to be taught the steps in incremental order and increase difficulty. She is totally lost and is making F's on her tests. She hates math and hates school right now. I do not like the fact that it seems she is teaching herself and that a lot of the teaching has become her parent's responsibility at home. Don't get me wrong her father and I totally support and am involved in her academics but why in the world should she go to school if we are the ones teaching her. Isn't that what school is all about? I see things in relationship to language and i feel that this program is no better that putting a child in front of the tv to learn how to communicate. What happened to direct teaching of skills. This program can be a great supplement to teach application but when it is used solely for instruction purposes, I cannot agree with that concept.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/