Teacher2Teacher

Q&A #2916

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Sherry Mulling <KMulling@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2008091110:52:58
Subject: Re: Re: accelerated math program

Oh my goodness sir, I so agree with your opinion.  I am a
speech-language pathologist and my daughter just started this program.
She was an average math student making mostly B's in math.  She is now
in the 7th grade and they started the AM program.  She is a child who
needs to be taught the steps in incremental order and increase
difficulty.  She is totally lost and is making F's on her tests.  She
hates math and hates school right now.  I do not like the fact that it
seems she is teaching herself and that a lot of the teaching has
become her parent's responsibility at home.  Don't get me wrong her
father and I totally support and am involved in her academics but why
in the world should she go to school if we are the ones teaching her.
Isn't that what school is all about?  I see things in relationship to
language and i feel that this program is no better that putting a
child in front of the tv to learn how to communicate.  What happened
to direct teaching of skills. This program can be a great supplement
to teach application but when it is used solely for instruction
purposes, I cannot agree with that concept.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/