Teacher2Teacher

Q&A #2916

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Chuck

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2008031112:19:42
Subject: Re: accelerated math program

On 2000090417:38:33, PW wrote: Since when does multiple choice >questions help students go through a logical step-by-step process? As a third grade teacher I have seen a great benefit from the multiple choice problems in areas such as addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. When a student adds a three digit plus a three digit number there are many areas for mistakes. I require that they show the work and then they must find and answer that matches what they got. Guess what, if they missed one little part they can't find an answer that matches it. I have had many students come to me saying "they don't have the right answer here". I then have a chance to give immediate feedback on what they missed on that problem. I then get to teach them immediately what they did wrong. The other option is that they do the work and don't know that they missed it until they turn it in and receive a grade. As an educator how can you say that immediate feed back and instant chances to correct mistakes is "stupid"?

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/