Teacher2Teacher

Q&A #2916

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Tom Turney <tommy.turney@kerrvilleisd.net>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2009090515:09:27
Subject: Re: accelerated math program

You are exactly right about it being a waste of time. I have been
using it for 3 years in 7th grade math. I spend most of the time
trying to get the software to work correctly. While I'm doing this
students have their hands raised and others are ready to scan.
Independent research also supports that  it's worthless. Studies done
by "What works clearinghouse" and "best evidence encyclopedia" have
concluded it is of no use whatsoever. As a matter of fact the only
positive research I've seen, has been done by Renaissance Learning.
They are the complany that produces accelerated math. If you're the
type of teacher that likes to sit at the desk after giving everyone a
wotksheet, then this is for you. If you're like me and like to
actually teach from bell to bell--you will be very frustrated with
this program. Already our district expects students to master 10 obj.
per 6 weeks and we use this as a project grade. If they ever force use
to use this as the principle form of teaching I will be looking for a
new job.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®