Teacher2Teacher

Q&A #2916

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Jill <jillspins@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001010617:49:29
Subject: Re: Re: grading

As a new teacher I struggled with how to implement AM and generate
some grade for the students.  What I decided upon is the following:

20% based upon reaching the set number of objectives for the quarter.
If the student does not reach the set goal, they receive a percentage
that is equivalent to the percent of objectives they did complete.

20% based upon scores from practices

40% based upon scores from tests

20% based upon student's ability to come to class prepared.  At the
beginning of class I check to make sure that each student has what is
needed for class.  Many of my students come without pencils, scan
card, or worksheets.  This was my way of making them accountable for
themselves.  I have a whole scheme of how I assign point for certain
ranges of times that students come unprepared.

I agree that it would be nice to sit and take time to set
individualized goals with each student.  That is an ideal!  I set the
goal number because the school that I am teaching at (first year) has
a history of expecting far too little from their students and I wanted
to make sure that I didn't have students setting goals of 10
objectives for the quarter.

Jill
8th grade mathematics

Post a reply to this message