Q&A #2916

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Jill

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001010617:49:29
Subject: Re: Re: grading

As a new teacher I struggled with how to implement AM and generate some grade for the students. What I decided upon is the following: 20% based upon reaching the set number of objectives for the quarter. If the student does not reach the set goal, they receive a percentage that is equivalent to the percent of objectives they did complete. 20% based upon scores from practices 40% based upon scores from tests 20% based upon student's ability to come to class prepared. At the beginning of class I check to make sure that each student has what is needed for class. Many of my students come without pencils, scan card, or worksheets. This was my way of making them accountable for themselves. I have a whole scheme of how I assign point for certain ranges of times that students come unprepared. I agree that it would be nice to sit and take time to set individualized goals with each student. That is an ideal! I set the goal number because the school that I am teaching at (first year) has a history of expecting far too little from their students and I wanted to make sure that I didn't have students setting goals of 10 objectives for the quarter. Jill 8th grade mathematics

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®