Teacher2Teacher

Q&A #2916

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Duane Habecker

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2004082816:49:18
Subject: Re: AM and grades

I have been using Accelerated Math in my 6th, 7th, and 8th grade math classes for two years and have finally settled upon a method that I am happy with for using AM to determine student grades. The student's overall grade is determined by the following 5 categories (in no particular order): 40% for the weekly quizzes I create. This is one of the remaining ties to my "old way" of teaching that I have. I still write a new quiz each week based upon the stuff I have recently taught. These are never multiple-choice quizzes. 20% for turning in the required number of Accelerated Math packets each week. Each week I require students to turn in at least 6 packets. A "packet" is a set of papers stapled together: the TOPS report, the original worksheet (Practice, Exercise, or Test), the original work neatly shown on binder paper, and finally an additional binder paper with corrections made to the problems missed (as reported on the TOPS). 20% for mastering the required number of objectives. Depending on the class, I require 30 or so objectives to be mastered per quarter (9 week session). 10% for the overall percent correct on Accelerated Math tests taken. 10% for the overall percent correct on review problems given by Accelerated Math in the practice worksheets. The number of objectives mastered and the overall percent correct for AM tests and review problems can easily be gotten for each student by printing a Diagnostic Report for the class. If you'd like to see more information on how I do this, you can visit my class web site: http://206.110.20.130/web/habecker/parents.htm

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/