From: Claudia

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000053110:49:42
Subject: Re: Teaching strategies for heterogeneous groups

It has been a few years, now, but I taught in algebra I without ability grouping. I want to say up front, that the brightest students are the ones who suffer from such instruction, because you cannot push the envelope to that level without separating those students from the group. The weakest students probably benefit the most. Especially, when students are involved in small groups. My brightest students had a great time working and explaining ideas to some of my slowest! The best strategies involve, planning ahead, setting up ground rules for dealing with frustration issues and still have some moments when groups can explore ideas on their own level. Good luck. -Claudia

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/