From: Jeanne

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000062011:12:24
Subject: Re: Problem in a heterogeneous groups

When it comes to working with students of all ages, one is rarely completely sure of anything. It is one of the many things that make teaching so interesting. I use groups in my classroom as one of several teaching vehicles. My groups are usually determined by random drawing of names. Some the things I do for my student groups to be successful are as follows: 1--I spend a great deal of time at the beginning of the academic year setting behavioral expectations for all of my classes in the large group setting, in small group settings, as individuals. In the beginning of the year I make it a point of doing fun, team building activities so that the students get to know each other. I find the initial investment of time to be well worth it. 2--Periodically, I have a class that has composed of students whose experience in working in groups is "copy the smartest student's paper." In this class I actively teach "group etiquette." Their daily points includes reward points for good behaviors. Or I might treat them with a piece of candy. If their average quiz score exceeds a target number, they all get a reward of some kind. 3--Students work in groups for a variety of reasons--not just to complete exercises. This way the student who is academically not as strong is likely to have an opportunity to be the "expert." 4--I change groups every 3 - 5 groups depending upon the course level. 5--My most successful lessons where small groups are used, are ones where the students see the need to work in groups and feel rewarded by working in a group. The task could be data gathering in a small time frame. It could be lab where the everyone has an important role. Hope this helps. -Jeanne, for the Teacher2Teacher service

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/