From: Lindsay <Lspaid6380@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003092812:45:38
Subject: Re: one class, different abilities

Hello!  I am in desperate need of advice and help in any way.  I am
teaching a math skills class on the middle school level.  This class
consists of 16 students.  The students in my class are in 6th, 7th,
and 8th grades.  They are all on different math levels and approx. 75%
of the class had failed math last year or came close to failing...how
they have been moved up to the next year boggles my mind.  The Special
Education teacher and myself are the only two adults in the room and
we are expected to teach a mini-lesson each day to help the students
in the area of math...this has become the biggest challenge in both of
our lives.  We are clueless as to what the most beneficial math topics
to teach would be and how to go about teaching it to these kids who
are in three different grades, have 3 different curriculums, and we
are dealing with four different math teachers (meaning that they are
all learning different things at different times).  We are lucky if 2
of the kids are learning the same thing at the same time.  For
example: we did a group lesson on Greatest common factor and least
common factors but the kids were moaning and groaning that they had
already learned that...we differentiate instruction as much as
possible...but it is extremely difficult.  We are in a bind and if you
have any information as to what we should do, or any resources or
websites that you believe would help, please contact me at
Lspaid6380@aol.com.  It would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®