Q&A #293

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: One class, different abilities

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Lindsay

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003092812:45:38
Subject: Re: one class, different abilities

Hello! I am in desperate need of advice and help in any way. I am teaching a math skills class on the middle school level. This class consists of 16 students. The students in my class are in 6th, 7th, and 8th grades. They are all on different math levels and approx. 75% of the class had failed math last year or came close to failing...how they have been moved up to the next year boggles my mind. The Special Education teacher and myself are the only two adults in the room and we are expected to teach a mini-lesson each day to help the students in the area of math...this has become the biggest challenge in both of our lives. We are clueless as to what the most beneficial math topics to teach would be and how to go about teaching it to these kids who are in three different grades, have 3 different curriculums, and we are dealing with four different math teachers (meaning that they are all learning different things at different times). We are lucky if 2 of the kids are learning the same thing at the same time. For example: we did a group lesson on Greatest common factor and least common factors but the kids were moaning and groaning that they had already learned that...we differentiate instruction as much as possible...but it is extremely difficult. We are in a bind and if you have any information as to what we should do, or any resources or websites that you believe would help, please contact me at Lspaid6380@aol.com. It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®