From: Debbie

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2006081315:31:18
Subject: Re: Re: one class, different abilities

Hi, I feel for you. I have a similar (but not as extreme problem in my 7th and 8th grade classes. I have 2 to 3 different skill leveles in each of the classes I will be teaching in math this coming year. The school is too small to separate them into different classes. This is a K-8 school, adding 8th grade for the first time. I have been on the web searching for some resource to help me. I learned that it is called "heterogeneous" class room, using "In-class ability grouping." I have only taught high school which pretty much tracks the kids into their separate level classes. There is always going to be skill differences, even in the homogeneous classes. But I only had to keep an eye on the low level kids and give them more individual attention. This year, I think I need actual formalized groups to be formed and I have not had training in that kind of arena. I don't know if this book would be helpful to you, but it took me umpteen hours to track it down. I ordered it through Barnes & Nobel (free shipping) and it will arrive just in time for me to read before school starts. It sounds like it is addressing this topic. The book is called "Differentiating Math Instruction:Strategies that work for K-8" I wish I already had and read it, but it might be something that will help. (?) Good Luck to both of us!

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/