From: Patankar

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001031812:26:39
Subject: Everyday Math-Be Careful

We are in the second year of implementing Everyday Math. It does not fit the needs of our students. Everyday Math is at the application level and above in "Bloom's Taxonomy" but does not provide a knowledge base for the students. I call it "Math Appreciation." I tried so hard to implement the program, but it did not work for our students. You will need to really think before being stuck with this program. The fifth grade teacher (I'm sixth grade) and I just finished taking an ITIP class and discussed Everyday Math with different schools in Genesse County (Flint, MI). Every teacher who used Everyday Math was frustrated with it and had to suppplement the program with the basic practice that the students need. Some other teachers mentioned that "Investigations" is a great math program. I'm not sure if it's the one you are talking about. I wish we would have gotten that program. Some schools have gone to using Everyday Math as an enrichment program---but it does not fit the needs of all students. My suggestion...Accelerated Math. It is from Advantage Learning Systems who also puts out Accelerated Reader. I had implemented this program in my previous school and it's WONDERFUL! It is an individualized program based on mastery learning. Definitely check out the site and order the Demo. I am currently writing a grant with the School Improvement Team to get Accelerated Math in our school ASAP. We are in the second year of unsatisfactory MEAP scores in math. Hopefully, Accelerated Math will help with the scores...and of course, help our students be successful. My previous school used Accelerated Math as a supplement to the current math program. You may also use it as the primary math program; however, it would be difficult since each student is at a different level/objective. Contact Advantage Learning Systems as soon as possible. You may want to hold off buying a brand new math program, use your current math textbooks for whole group/small group math, and supplement with Accelerated Math. I am not a sales rep for AM, but I've heard many other success stories with AM. Everyday Math, Mathland, and the like may sound like they are revolutionizing the math world, but take great caution and investigate what your students really need before getting stuck with either of them. GOOD LUCK!! Patankar Sixth Grade Teacher

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/