From: Patankar <patya@juno.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001031812:26:39
Subject: Everyday Math-Be Careful

We are in the second year of implementing Everyday Math.  It does not
fit the needs of our students.  Everyday Math is at the application
level and above in "Bloom's Taxonomy" but does not provide a knowledge
base for the students.  I call it "Math Appreciation."  I tried so
hard to implement the program, but it did not work for our students.
You will need to really think before being stuck with this program.

The fifth grade teacher (I'm sixth grade) and I just finished taking
an ITIP class and discussed Everyday Math with different schools in
Genesse County (Flint, MI).  Every teacher who used Everyday Math was
frustrated with it and had to suppplement the program with the basic
practice that the students need.  Some other teachers mentioned that
"Investigations" is a great math program.  I'm not sure if it's the
one you are talking about.  I wish we would have gotten that program.
Some schools have gone to using Everyday Math as an enrichment
program---but it does not fit the needs of all students.

My suggestion...Accelerated Math.  It is from Advantage Learning
Systems who also puts out Accelerated Reader.  I had implemented this
program in my previous school and it's WONDERFUL!  It is an
individualized program based on mastery learning.  Definitely check
out the site and order the Demo.  I am currently writing a grant with
the School Improvement Team to get Accelerated Math in our school
ASAP.  We are in the second year of unsatisfactory MEAP scores in
math.  Hopefully, Accelerated Math will help with the scores...and of
course, help our students be successful.

My previous school used Accelerated Math as a supplement to the
current math program.  You may also use it as the primary math
program; however, it would be difficult since each student is at a
different level/objective.  Contact Advantage Learning Systems as soon
as possible.  You may want to hold off buying a brand new math
program, use your current math textbooks for whole group/small group
math, and supplement with Accelerated Math. I am not a sales rep for
AM, but I've heard many other success stories with AM. Everyday Math,
Mathland, and the like may sound like they are revolutionizing the
math world, but take great caution and investigate what your students
really need before getting stuck with either of them.

GOOD LUCK!!

Patankar
Sixth Grade Teacher

Post a reply to this message