From: Teresa Kowalsky

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2004022716:07:46
Subject: Re: saxon math

While the idea of Saxon Math is good (a spiral based approach to
mathematics, consistenly reinforcing lessons previously learned) The
program itself is not challenging at all.  I teach second grade math
and my classes were so bored with the math program.  We were in our
6th week of school and still focusing on things such as days of the
week and 1 digit adding(2+2=4).  Many of my students are ESOL (English
as a Second Language) and they were even able to understand and
succeed in the math program even with their very limited vocabulary
and ability to speak English!  If you are interested in the same type
of approach, but challenging, try Everyday Mathematics. We switched to
the program after the first quarter and are having tremendous success!
The kids love the games abd play them during inside recess instead of
anything else! Saxon does not challenge or encourage children to work
at their potential.  I hope this helps!

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®