From: janice <janice_welatyahoo.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2003071511:30:36
Subject: basic math calculations

Oh, my sympathy, and hopefully help...to start long division you have
chosen a good problem  300 divided by 60. First you determine place
value or the size of the answer by covering all but the first digit in
300 and the question is does 60 go into 3? no...(60 is larger than 3)
uncover the first 0 and ask does 60 go into 30?no...now uncover the
next number and reask the question does 60 go into 300? yes (because
300 is larger than 60) Now...the answer to how many times comes from a
quess that uses onlu the largest digit in a number, in this case the 6
(6 tens) and you start with 6 times what gives you 3 (no...that isn't
enough) 6 times what gives you 30...5..so the 5 goes above the second
zero in 300 and you check by multiplying 5 times 60...I hope this
helps.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®