From: Gill Hopkins <hopkins24@gmail.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2006122023:49:46
Subject: Core Plus

I am a High School student currently using the Core-Plus program. I
came upon this site and your question while trying to find research
for an essay i am writing in my English class about how ineffective
the core-plus program is. here is my main grievance and why:
-the book is not an independent tool for learning: without a glossary,
summary of the chapter, index of equations or introduction to the
topic, it is very difficult for me to review for tests or even just
wrap my brain around the subject. the book is designed to show
students how math is used in real life situations. this is admirable,
however Core Plus takes it overboard by including ONLY problems in it
without correct answers in the back of the book or a clear explanation
of the material to begin with. this means that without my teacher, i
cannot understand the book. Text books are most helpful to students
when they can be used at home when the teacher is not around.

i am not alone in my strong defiance of the core-plus program. as you
probably know well, most students don't care how the material is
presented to them and would rather be sleeping than learning anyway.
however, when i asked 24 random students in the library what they
thought of the Core-Plus books, 21 of them said they "disliked-hated
them", two students were not familiar with the program, and only one
student said they had no opinion. i hope this helped.

i hate core plus.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®