From: Gill Hopkins

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2006122100:49:46
Subject: Core Plus

I am a High School student currently using the Core-Plus program. I came upon this site and your question while trying to find research for an essay i am writing in my English class about how ineffective the core-plus program is. here is my main grievance and why: -the book is not an independent tool for learning: without a glossary, summary of the chapter, index of equations or introduction to the topic, it is very difficult for me to review for tests or even just wrap my brain around the subject. the book is designed to show students how math is used in real life situations. this is admirable, however Core Plus takes it overboard by including ONLY problems in it without correct answers in the back of the book or a clear explanation of the material to begin with. this means that without my teacher, i cannot understand the book. Text books are most helpful to students when they can be used at home when the teacher is not around. i am not alone in my strong defiance of the core-plus program. as you probably know well, most students don't care how the material is presented to them and would rather be sleeping than learning anyway. however, when i asked 24 random students in the library what they thought of the Core-Plus books, 21 of them said they "disliked-hated them", two students were not familiar with the program, and only one student said they had no opinion. i hope this helped. i hate core plus.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/