Q&A #306

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Tessellations and symmetry - 4th grade

View entire discussion
[ next >>]

From: sue

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002120621:49:52
Subject: Do it in art

I do transformations in Art with my 4/5's. We start with 3 smallish black construction paper squares and three larger white papers to mount on. The students cut the squares and glue the pieces down one at a time. First we do translations, then rotations, then reflections. Some of the resulting designs are really neat. Sometimes I let them cut their name into wavey stripes and "translate" or "rotate" the pieces. At the end of the unit we to a large piece starting with a black rectangle. They must show all three transformations. It's really fun to see if you can figure out how the rectangle goes back together.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®