From: Loyd <loydlin@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2004011513:59:03
Subject: Re: Re: Foolproof way to learn percentages

On 2004011510:16:31, Barb wrote:
>In receiving a summary of an investment, I'm not sure how to figure
>the percentage of a gain or loss. For example, previous statement of
>$3,285.00, earnings of $785, value now $4070.00. How do you set of
the
>equation for either a percentage gain in this case or percentage in a
>loss?

To find the percent of increase, divide the increase by what you
incresed from.  That is, divide 785/3287 = 0.239 rounded to three
places.  To change to percent, multiply by 100.

To find the percent of decrease, divide the decrease by what you
decreased from and multiply by 100 to change to percent.

By the way, the % sign means to divide by 100.   When you say, 25% you
mean 25/100.  That is what the 0/0 (%)symbolizes.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/