Q&A #310

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Teaching percents

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Berrin Cerit <elysium94@hotmail.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2006112815:55:43
Subject: What persentage of something makes something?

I have been preparing myself for an interview to be able to enter PGCE
secondary maths teaching course. I suppose to choose an age group and
a level together with a  topic to make a five minutes individual

I decided to teach percentage (actually it suppose to be only
introduction part of a lesson) to year 9 and level between 5-7.

I have been reading as much as I can to see the reality of teaching in
every aspect.
I found this site by chance and read first couple of messages about
teaching percentages.

Thanks to every one whose shared their experiences. I have got some
idea when I was reading yours and would like share it with you. I hope
it will help you to make your job easier.

Example: What  %  of  11  is  55?
                  X=           100
                        of <
                  11 > > > > > >55

In here; 'WHAT' means 'X', 'percent' means '100',
'of' means 'multiply', 'is' means 'divide'.

Now we can put this simple instuction into calculation form.

            X = (100 x 11) / 55 = 1100 / 55 = 20

Always follow the same directions to set the numbers and unknowns in
the same place before you construct the calculation form.

Do you think it will help you to teach percentages easier? I hope so.
If so, wish me luck please. My interview on 5th December 2006!

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®