Q&A #315

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Value of two-column proofs

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: C.J.

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002031621:21:51
Subject: Re: Value of two-column proofs

I was dismayed to discover (during that last textbook adoption process) that standards and therefore publishers had de-emphasized two-column proofs. So, I decided to conduct a study on the impact of this move. For each of the past four years I have chosen one class --at random--in which I continue to emphasize two-column proofs; in the others, I follow the new trend. At the end of the course I administer a "standardized" final exam (multiple choice, no proofs) and without exception, the students who have been exposed to a heavy dose of the logic and reasoning skills that formal proofs provide, have outperformed the other students.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®