From: meg maenpaa

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002040709:47:07
Subject: two-column proofs, why and what is a flow proof

I am a pre-service teacher,non-traditional(did high school proofs 25 years ago). I found my way to this discussion looking for a good reason(s) for doing proofs to give to students as part of an essay question. I wholeheartedly agree that doing proofs is a good way to teach logical reason and argument. However I was working pretty hard trying to think of a good reason to give a student which might appeal. I am sure my 14 year-old is going to have something to say, and probably not good, about having to do proofs next year. What do you, who are experienced teachers reply to the frustrated student who says, "Why do we have to do all these proofs?" I've done paragraph proofs, flow proofs, and proofs by contradiction. Can someone direct me to a textbook that explains flow proof. meg maenpaa

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/