Q&A #315

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Value of two-column proofs

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Joetta Mark

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002031516:16:18
Subject: Re: Value of two-column proofs

I do not agree. Teaching proof methods in school is absolutely needed for logic and structure, but not the two-column proof. Having completed a Master's degree in Applied Mathematics, I cannot remember a single time of using two column proof. When I was in high school, I was lucky enough to be in a test class for a new method of proof, called the "flow" proof. This method visually and logically demonstrated all statements necessary to imply the next statement. It definitely was extremely helpful when working in areas of Abstract Algebra, Real Analysis, Advanced Calculus, and so on. I do not think two column proof does a very good job of demonstrating the actual flow of logic required.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®