From: Joetta Mark <joetta.mark@aventis.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002031515:16:18
Subject: Re:  Value of two-column proofs

I do not agree.  Teaching proof methods in school is absolutely needed
for logic and structure, but not the two-column proof.  Having
completed a Master's degree in Applied Mathematics, I cannot remember
a single time of using two column proof.  When I was in high school, I
was lucky enough to be in a test class for a new method of proof,
called the "flow" proof.  This method visually and logically
demonstrated all statements necessary to imply the next statement.  It
definitely was extremely helpful when working in areas of Abstract
Algebra, Real Analysis, Advanced Calculus, and so on.  I do not think
two column proof does a very good job of demonstrating the actual flow
of logic required.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®