Q&A #327

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Making learning addition and subtraction fun

View entire discussion
[<< prev] [ next >>]

From: Julie Smith

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000100909:22:54
Subject: Re: fact families- grade 1

I teach 2nd grade and found that my students had difficulty understanding fact families this year. The following are some activities that helped. - Draw a "house" (a square and a triangle (the "attic") on top, draw a vertical line through the square to make 2 "rooms") and write the larger number in the "attic" (ex. 6) and the 2 smaller parts in the "rooms" (ex. 2, 4). Have children think of these numbers as living together. Then show that 6 - 4 = whichever number also lives in this same house, 2. Children can draw several houses to make a neighborhood of fact families. - I've also seen triangles used. The numbers in the fact family (2, 4, 6) are written in the corners of the triangles. Then you can cover up one corner and children say which number is missing. - I gave each of my students a sentence strip with a fact written on it. Without talking, they had to walk around the room and find the other children who had facts in their family. Once they found their family, the family sat down. Once all family "members" had been located, we checked each other. Hope these help!

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®