From: Emilie <iluvsnapple26@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001040723:16:07
Subject: Re: fact families- grade 1

Hello.  I don't know how long it's been since you posted this message,
but I am a college student at SUNY Oneonta and I have recently been
participating in a 3rd/4th grade classroom.  The teacher plays a game
with the fact families.
She takes two folders (regular, cheap folders) and staples them
together, forming a barrier for each child's "area" (a barrier so no
other children can see their fact families).
She breaks the children up into groups of four and has them spread out
so that they can play the game in those groups.
She has fact families written on note cards (about 8-10 whole fact
families) (ex: 4x6 is one card, 6x4 is another, 24 divided by 6 is
another, and 24 divided by 4 is another....and that is one whole fact
family).
She hands out these groups of fact families to each group.  Each
player gets 6 cards to start.  The rest of the cards go in the middle,
like Go Fish.  The children set up their fact families (if they have
any) and begin to ask each other if they have the ones they need.  If
the child they asks doesn't have any, then they tell them to Go Fish.

This is sort of complicated, but the children love it and they
understand fact families so much more than before they learned the
game.  If you have any questions, please e-mail me and I will answer
them to the best of my ability.  Hope I have helped!

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/