From: Emilie

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001040723:16:07
Subject: Re: fact families- grade 1

Hello. I don't know how long it's been since you posted this message, but I am a college student at SUNY Oneonta and I have recently been participating in a 3rd/4th grade classroom. The teacher plays a game with the fact families. She takes two folders (regular, cheap folders) and staples them together, forming a barrier for each child's "area" (a barrier so no other children can see their fact families). She breaks the children up into groups of four and has them spread out so that they can play the game in those groups. She has fact families written on note cards (about 8-10 whole fact families) (ex: 4x6 is one card, 6x4 is another, 24 divided by 6 is another, and 24 divided by 4 is another....and that is one whole fact family). She hands out these groups of fact families to each group. Each player gets 6 cards to start. The rest of the cards go in the middle, like Go Fish. The children set up their fact families (if they have any) and begin to ask each other if they have the ones they need. If the child they asks doesn't have any, then they tell them to Go Fish. This is sort of complicated, but the children love it and they understand fact families so much more than before they learned the game. If you have any questions, please e-mail me and I will answer them to the best of my ability. Hope I have helped!

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/