From: Norma <gutie226@aol.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2000091910:21:28
Subject: Math--Multiplication and Division

	Hi,
My son just started fourth grade this year and is having trouble with
math. His 3rd grade teacher taught him the beginning of
multiplications toward the end of the year. Basically just the last
2 or 3 weeks of school. He was given a sheet with the multiplication
and division facts and told to "memorize them during the summer.
The very first week of school he was given a math test on these
problems and failed. The teacher sent home a letter stating that
they needed to know these problems by hte 4th grade. I feel that
they (the students) should have been taught this in school. I pay
tuition for my son to get a good education and athough I feel
that a parent should be involved in their childrens learning, it
should only be to make sure they do there work and emphasize what
they have learned and are learning. The teaching of new subjects
and concepts should be done by the teachers. Please help as this
is very stressful to me and my child.
                                        Thank you.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question