From: susan delear <chopinjr@hawaii.rr.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2012091519:37:13
Subject: Is this a permutation or combination problem or both?

Hello,
I have a problem that has been handed to me to teach next week... I
must find first of all the total number of different solutions and
secondly, talk about practical relevance to an 8th grade class.

Question: What are all of the different ways 12 different
objects(marbles, coins, pencils, etc) can be arranged into three
identical containers, so that each of the containers has a DIFFERENT
NUMBER of items within them.

is this simply:

Bin#1    Bin#2    Bin#3

12!   +   12!  +  12!

Really stumped here.. and I haven't even gotten to the practical
relevancy yet! Thank you!  SD

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®