Q&A #3398

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Permutations and counting arrangements

View entire discussion
[<< prev]

From: susan delear

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2012091520:37:13
Subject: Is this a permutation or combination problem or both?

Hello, I have a problem that has been handed to me to teach next week... I must find first of all the total number of different solutions and secondly, talk about practical relevance to an 8th grade class. Question: What are all of the different ways 12 different objects(marbles, coins, pencils, etc) can be arranged into three identical containers, so that each of the containers has a DIFFERENT NUMBER of items within them. is this simply: Bin#1 Bin#2 Bin#3 12! + 12! + 12! Really stumped here.. and I haven't even gotten to the practical relevancy yet! Thank you! SD

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®