Q&A #3544

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Math for dyslexia

View entire discussion
[ next >>]

From: Stacy

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001030615:18:49
Subject: Help

I am tutoring my friend in math (she is over 40) in order to pass an exam for career placement. We are working with basic math and some pre-algebra. She is dyslexic. I am starting slow and have been surfing the net reading everything I can about ways to help her the most. We are go very slow and repeating skills over and over till she feels comfortable. I was curious if you had any suggestings about some books/workbooks that might help me. I appreciate all the help I can get. I am not a teacher by trade, I am her friend and I was referred to her by a mutual friend who thought I was smart. Although I received the presidential math award in high school, that piece of paper just means I know the material. Teaching it is another thing altogether as I am sure I don't have to explain to you. My 4 1/2 year old daughter has a learning disability that is still being uncovered. I am greatful for the opportunity to help my friend as it is teaching me skills and patience that I will need to have with my own daughter in the near future. Not coincidently I am attending a workshop in LA this month on Visualizing and Verbalizing through the Lindamood-Bell program in an effort to help my daughter. Who knows, maybe these tools will be useful in helping my friend as well. Well, thanks for your time and any guidance you can offer! Stacy

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®