From: Stacy <dejesusfamily@yahoo.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001030614:18:49
Subject: Help

	I am tutoring my friend in math (she is over 40) in order to pass an
exam for career placement.  We are working with basic math and some
pre-algebra.  She is dyslexic.  I am starting slow and have been
surfing the net reading everything I can about ways to help her the
most.  We are go very slow and repeating skills over and over till she
feels comfortable.  I was curious if you had any suggestings about
some books/workbooks that might help me.  I appreciate all the help I
can get.  I am not a teacher by trade, I am her friend and I was
referred to her by a mutual friend who thought I was smart.  Although
I received the presidential math award in high school, that piece of
paper just means I know the material.  Teaching it is another thing
altogether as I am sure I don't have to explain to you.  My 4 1/2 year
old daughter has a learning disability that is still being uncovered.
I am greatful for the opportunity to help my friend as it is teaching
me skills and patience that I will need to have with my own daughter
in the near future.  Not coincidently I am attending a workshop in LA
this month on Visualizing and Verbalizing through the Lindamood-Bell
program in an effort to help my daughter.  Who knows, maybe these
tools will be useful in helping my friend as well.  Well, thanks for
your time and any guidance you can offer!

Stacy

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®