From: Gary Rice <frogstarr@compuserve.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 1998071121:51:23
Subject: Curving Tests & Retaking Tests

Dear Cindy,

I teach Algebra courses as well, and also find myself curving tests.
I don't employ the square root method you mentioned; however, I take
the highest amount of points attained, and take it out of that amount.
For example, if a student scored 45 points out of a possible 50, I will
take all of the scores out of 45 possible.  That may sound old fashioned,
but it seems to be fair. I agree with your reasons for curving.

My question for you is this: You mentioned that you allow your
students to retake their tests. What rationale do you use for that?
Thanks.

Gary Rice

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question