Q&A #3626

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Math Frustration, Puberty

View entire discussion
[ next >>]

From: Loyd

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002021012:39:02
Subject: Math Frustration; Tutoring at Home

I have had experience tutoring my own child as well as other children and adults. The best situation is when the tutor can assess the students capabilities and fill in where the gaps are. For some this means starting from scratch. Most of the time, the student or parent just wants you to tutor the topics that have been assigned by the teacher. My son at one time was failing or nearly failing algebra. I decided to tutor him by starting from scratch. I used an older college algebra book by Rees and Sparks. This book didn't have lot of the modern topics but was typical of the 1950 or so algebra books. It was fairly rigorous for an algebra I student. My son complained about the tutoring, which is often the case when a parent tries to help. We managed to spend 1/2 hour or so two or three times a week. Starting from scratch, we covered maybe a third of the book until my son rebelled so much that I decided to stop to keep peace in the family. A strange thing happened. His grades started to improve and he moved up to the B and B+ level in algebra and remained there through algebra II, geometry, math analysis and calculus. Now he is an electrical engineer. My son later told me that though he hated the Rees and Sparks book, it was that book which caused him to get back on track. The rigor of the book was far above his high school book, but that helped him to understand with more depth. So, in my opinion, parents should do more tutoring early on in topics that the student has skipped. In other words, fill in the gaps in the students math education. Get one or two appropiate grade level books and start from scratch. Don't worry about grades. The grades will improve later after the gaps are filled.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®