From: Susan Socha <ssocha@fc.fcps.k12.va.us>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001052621:41:09
Subject: Bulletin board ideas

This year I really tried to keep my bulletin boards current.  I made
an effort to connect the bulletin board with what we were studying.
For example, when we were studying congruent triangles, I had a
bulletin board up about Methods for Proving triangles congruent.  As I
added a new method, I put it up on the bulletin board.  I also had
things that you couldn't use like SSA.  I had triangles with tick
marks as a visual reminder for each method.
I also used a bulleting board for the Quadrilateral unit.  It was
basically the chart that is in most Geometry books with the various
shapes connected in diagram form.  Again, I added to the diagram as we
studied quadrilaterals.  I found this to be very helpful, because when
questions came up about the relationships between quadrilaterals, I
could just walk to the back of the room and point them out.  At the
beginning of the year I had a vocabulary bulletin board that
illustrated geometry terms.
You could use something like this in algebra too.  I think a bulletin
board with frequent errors with polynomials would be effective for a
unit.  For example, (x+3)^2 doesn't equal x^2 + 9, and -2^2 doesn't
equal 4 (unless there are parenthsis.
Another type of bulletin board that I created involves baby pictures
of the students.  I had students voluntarily bring in baby pictures.
I made a numbered list of their names.  Under each baby picture, I
wrote a problem with an answer that coincided with the number on the
list of students.  The students had to solve the problems to identify
the baby pictures.
Then, I had the students write something down that most people didn't
know that they had done (not something embarassing or inappropriate)
and did the same thing, with a list of names, and problems under their
interesting fact about themselves.
I hope this helps.  I may try to write this up in more detail for the
Mathematics Teacher.
Susan

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question