From: Loyd

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2011080111:45:25
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Geometry- Pythagorean Theorem and its Converse

I am replying to my own message. The angles of the previous list are arranged in steps of approximately 1 degree. I was trying to duplicate what may have been the original Plimpton Tablet which was found in the country now called Iraq. But here is another use of the Pythagorean Theorem. When you install a heating and cooling air system in a new house, the air intakes should be approximately the same or larger than the total area of all the exit vents. Otherwise, you will introduce some airflow inefficiencies in the system. It has been my experience that this rule is not always followed by the building industry. Maybe it is because they don't know much about the pythagorean Theorem and think it applies only to triangles but it works for squares and circles also. I taught an adult class one time and one of the students got slightly angry and said I just trying to use 25 cent words. The next day, he wanted to know all about it since his boss let him know the importance of the theorem.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/