From: constantino totis <ctotis@hotmail.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002030119:55:48
Subject: a simple method to approximate square roots

	well, I first daw the method I am about to describe in a public
library in San Antono, texas.

First remember that if x to the second power equals, say, 10 I have to
find two numbers that multiplied by themselves equal ar approach 10:

3*3=9
4*4= 16

Therefore sqr (10) is between 3 and 4; and offcourse, closer to 3.

This is a first approximation (and I donīt know what grade is your
child in).

Always emphasize the use of a diagram; start asking questions like:

If a have a 100sq. ft. lot, what are its dimensions?

I hope you will find this useful.

You can also use the Newtonīs method , which involves algebre, and it
permits to obtain very good approximations to the square roots of
numbers which arenīt too large.

Good, luck and If you find it useful, please let me know

CONSTANTINO TOTIS

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®