From: constantino totis

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2002030120:55:48
Subject: a simple method to approximate square roots

well, I first daw the method I am about to describe in a public library in San Antono, texas. First remember that if x to the second power equals, say, 10 I have to find two numbers that multiplied by themselves equal ar approach 10: 3*3=9 4*4= 16 Therefore sqr (10) is between 3 and 4; and offcourse, closer to 3. This is a first approximation (and I donīt know what grade is your child in). Always emphasize the use of a diagram; start asking questions like: If a have a 100sq. ft. lot, what are its dimensions? I hope you will find this useful. You can also use the Newtonīs method , which involves algebre, and it permits to obtain very good approximations to the square roots of numbers which arenīt too large. Good, luck and If you find it useful, please let me know CONSTANTINO TOTIS

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/