From: Marie Siobhan Boland <bolandms@hotmail.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2001011918:24:52
Subject: Dividing by zero

	An explanation I have used that has satisfied the mystified
algebra-learner is that if I have 5 things, I can represent that as
5/1 or 5 things in one place.  I can split that into two places, and
give half to you, thus we have 5/2 and each of us has 2.5.  However,
if there are 5 things nowhere, that's 5/0, they don't exist!  Where
are they if they aren't somewhere, ither in 1, 2, 3 or more places???
This sometimes becomes a short philosophical discussion, but always
interesting, and most students seem to get the idea.
best,
Marie Siobhan

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question