From: Dimas <dimasgomez@gmail.com>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2006122822:12:56
Subject: Re: Re: Re: Dividing by zero

You will kill me, but I will try an absurd (philosophical - my matter)
answer based on what Iīve read here. If possible, read Loydland, Guz
and Santossuono first.

Remember that division is a multiplication process. By the inverse of
the number. I know, I know, the opposite of zero doesnīt exists. Just
give me a chance.

When uou do 1 / 0.25, I mean a number for a fraction, you get a bigger
number. It means that divide is multiply by the inverse.

1 / 0.500 =  2
1 / 0.250 =  4
1 / 0.125 =  8
1 / 0.100 = 10
1 / 0.050 = 20
1 / 0.010 = 100
1 / 0.001 = 1000 = 10e3
(...)
1 / 10e(-20) = 10e20.

If you try this (in a graph?):

f(x) = a / x <=> how smaller the x, bigger the a.
f(1 x 10e-20) =
= a / 0,00000000000000000001 =
= a * 10e(20).

1 / (1*10e20) = 1*10e20 =~ 0
1 / (1*10e-20) = 1*10e20
so, for a very very big x:
1 / 1*10e(x) = 1.10e(-x) =~ 0
and, why not?
1 / 1*10e(-x) = 1.10e(x) =~  infinity

That's why I think that the inverse of nothing is everything.
So: 0e(-1) = 0^ (0 elevated by -1 = everything).

for 1/0 = "infinity" = 0^
0 * 0^ = 1 <=>
{
1 / 0^ = 0 (ok!) [remember: 1/1*10e20 = 1.10e20 =~ 0 ]
and
1 / 0 = 0^ (ok!) [remember: 1/1*10e-20 = 1.10e20 ]
}

BUT:
x * 1/0 = x * 0^
x = 0 * x * 0^ => FALSE

If the x wasnīt anulated by 0, or "infiniticized" (sic) by the
infinity (sorry if x times infinity is not infinity, I didnīt study
Cauculus yet - pardon me), but just if would growed by or reduced
by...

Well, it didīt work. I think it happened because <b>when you treat a
imensurable thing like a mensurable, it canīt be calculated</b>. What
I really want to show is that hipotetically it works very well (on my
sick mind). <b>Don't ever forget that math is based on the concept of
quantity<b>. The idea of zero is the idea of nothing. And it doesnīt
exists. Perhaps the idea of everything/infinity may be the answer. Why
we canīt divide by zero? Because we can't multiply by infinity.

Ok, ok. Itīs bullshit.

I know all the algebrical reasons that makes division by zero
impossible.

But perhaps the inverse of anything (0) is everything (infinity).
Just think like "very small" and "very big". (quantity)
So, if you divide by the smallest, you are multipling by the biggest.

x / smallest = x * biggest, and thatīs true.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/