From: David Fantaci <davidfantaci@verizon.net>
To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2009103111:36:40
Subject: Re: Everyday Math - I LOVE IT!

Both of my daughters learned math through the "Everyday Math" TERKS
Curriculum.  They both excelled when they took standardized tests and
both had successful middle and high school careers, my oldest
graduating High School Valedictorian.

The greatest part of the program is that it encourages children to see
how math is part of their daily life and how to be able to THINK and
solve problems rather than rely on repetitive regimentation which
ignores the connection between how math is incorporated in almost
everything we do.

Parent's need to get over their discomfort with their child being
taught to explore the world of numbers rather than be drilled on
regurgitating addition, and multiplication tables.

The less imaginative teachers need to break out of their molds and
realize children need to be taught how to think and solve problems
rather than rely on what's been pummeled into their heads.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®
http://mathforum.org/