Q&A #410

Teachers' Lounge Discussion: Everyday Math

View entire discussion
[<< prev]

From: David Fantaci

To: Teacher2Teacher Public Discussion
Date: 2009103111:36:40
Subject: Re: Everyday Math - I LOVE IT!

Both of my daughters learned math through the "Everyday Math" TERKS Curriculum. They both excelled when they took standardized tests and both had successful middle and high school careers, my oldest graduating High School Valedictorian. The greatest part of the program is that it encourages children to see how math is part of their daily life and how to be able to THINK and solve problems rather than rely on repetitive regimentation which ignores the connection between how math is incorporated in almost everything we do. Parent's need to get over their discomfort with their child being taught to explore the world of numbers rather than be drilled on regurgitating addition, and multiplication tables. The less imaginative teachers need to break out of their molds and realize children need to be taught how to think and solve problems rather than rely on what's been pummeled into their heads.

Post a reply to this message
Ask Teacher2Teacher a new question

Teacher2Teacher - T2T ®